Mickey Stephens deLaup
Heidi S. Fletcher
Assistant to Ms. deLaup
- Selected as a Super Lawyer -2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 – General Personal Injury Defense
- Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Selected as one of 2015's Women Leaders in the Law- Fortune Magazine
- Who’s Who in American Law 2012-15
- Selected as a City Business Leader in Law for 2014
- Selected as one of the "Top Attorneys in Louisiana" for 2015 as published in Louisiana Life Magazine
- Selected as a “Top Lawyer” in insurance defense litigation in New Orleans Magazine in 2009
- Rated AV Preeminent, highest possible rating, by Martindale Hubbell by both peers and the Judiciary
Ms. deLaup was born in Monroe, Louisiana. She graduated from Louisiana Tech University in 1978 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science. She attended LSU Paul M. Hebert School of Law where she was on the Dean’s List graduating in 1981. During law school she clerked for a private law firm and for the Baton Rouge City Attorney’s Office.
Ms. deLaup began her legal career as a law clerk with the Louisiana Supreme Court Central Staff in 1981. In 1982 she joined a medium-sized New Orleans area law firm handling insurance defense litigation, general civil litigation and product liability matters, representing such clients as General Motors Corporation. She acted as coverage counsel for a major insurer. She remained there for 13 years leaving with other partners to form the law firm of LeBlanc Miranda & deLaup.
Ms. deLaup was the managing attorney at St. Paul Insurance Company, managing a staff of in-house counsel. She worked closely with the claims division of the company while also personally handling medical malpractice, general civil litigation and public entity litigation matters.
She was a founding member and Managing Partner of deLaup & Enright, LLC, an insurance defense firm handling litigation matters in state and federal courts throughout Louisiana. She has also trained and acted as a mediator in civil matters.
She has experience, at trial and on appeal, in various types of insurance defense and coverage matters and all areas of civil litigation, including product liability, public entity litigation, construction litigation, toxic tort, premises liability, medical malpractice, property damage and personal injury.
Ms. deLaup has been elected and appointed to numerous offices and committees of the Louisiana Bar Association. She was recently appointed to the Board of Governors of the Louisiana Bar Association for a three year term beginning in June of 2013. She was a member of the Committee for Bar Admissions and was the examiner for the Torts exam. She was previously an assistant examiner for the Federal Jurisprudence and Procedure portion of the bar exam.
She was recently elected to serve as a director for the Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel.
She is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), an organization which requires trial experience and qualification for admission.
Ms. deLaup is one of few woman attorneys selected as a SuperLawyer in Louisiana for the past several years.
Ms. deLaup has spoken at various seminars concerning topics ranging from the defense of automobile accident cases, fraud cases, public entity defense, professionalism issues, procedural matters in state court, ethics and conflicts in the representation of various public entities, insurance and uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance law.
- Public Entity Defense
- Insurance Defense
- Insurance Coverage
- Excess Insurance
- Bad Faith
- General Tort Defense
- Product Liability
- Toxic Torts
- Construction Law
- General Civil Litigation, personal injury and property
- Appellate Practice
Bar and Court Admissions
- Louisiana, 1981, all courts
- United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana
- United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Louisiana State University Law School, Baton Rouge, LA (J.D., 1981)
- Dean’s List, Top 14% of Class
- Louisiana Tech University, Ruston, LA (B.A Political Science, 1978)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association, (elected and appointed to numerous offices and committees including the Board of Governors). Appointed to the Board of Governors for a three year term beginning June 2013.
- American Board of Trial Advocates, member 2010 to present
- Young Lawyers Section Council Member 1987 to 1989
- Jefferson Bar Association, member
- Jefferson Bar Association, at large board member 2010 to 2012
- Jefferson Bar Association, Treasurer, 2012
- Jefferson Bar Association, Secretary 2013
- Jefferson Bar Association, Vice President 2014
- Jefferson Bar Association, President 2016
- Member, Law Institute Committee Member regarding Expedited Jury Trials
- Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel, Second Vice President- 2015; director, 2012 - 2013; Board Member 1995-1996
- Completed one week intensive training at the IADC Trial Academy, Boulder, Colorado, 1990
- Judge John C. Boutall American Inn of Court (Founding Member and Executive Board Member)
- Louisiana Attorney Disciplinary Board (Hearing Committee Member 2001 - 2007)
- Louisiana Bar Foundation (Fellow)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI), member
- New Orleans Pro Bono Project (Board Member; Secretary, 1991; Vice Chair, 1992; Chair, 1993), volunteer from 1990 to present
- New Orleans Legal Assistance Corporation (Board Member 1991-1994; Secretary, 1992)
- Examiner, Louisiana Bar Exam – Torts (2009 to 2011)
- Assistant Examiner, Louisiana Bar Exam – Torts (2005 to 2008); Federal Jurisprudence and Procedure (1996-2002)
- LSU Law School Alumni Board, Treasurer, Secretary and Vice-Chair, 1993-2000
Honors, Awards and Civic Activities
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell by both peers and the Judiciary
- Chosen as a Louisiana Super Lawyer for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016
- Selected as one of 2015's Women Leaders in the Law-Fortune Magazine
- Selected as a City Business Leader in Law for 2014
- Selected for Martindale-Hubbell’s Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers –2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Chosen for Who’s Who in America for several years including 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015
- Chosen as one of the Top Attorneys in Louisiana by Louisiana Life Magazine in the area of personal injury defense- 2012, 2015
- Elected to the American Board of Trial Advocates – 2010
- Top New Orleans Lawyers by New Orleans Magazine for insurance defense litigation - 2009
- Louisiana Crime Victims’ Reparation Board member, Recommended by District Attorney Paul Connick, Jr., and Appointed by Governor of State of Louisiana, 2005 – 2008